Another reason to love the nice weather, little animals being born! Every year, we have killdeer who nest on the gravel near our home. We're lucky to have two nests with four eggs in each.
We also welcomed what we're pretty sure are cowbirds who nested in an abandoned wooden box near the garage. Heard some peeps and took a little look - please excuse the iPhone-tography!
We'll be sure to post more as these babies grow, so keep checking the site or our Facebook page for more details!
Photography is like real estate - location is crucial!
Spring is upon us and people want to get outside. We're lucky in this area to have some very cool places like Dinosaur Provincial Park, Kinbrook Island Provincial Park, many playgrounds and walking paths, plus some unique spots where I like to shoot. Spring and summer are definitely my favorite seasons and times to get the shutter clicking outside!
There are a few things to think about when choosing a location to shoot at, though.
1. Is it a public or private place? Will you need permission from the landowner to shoot there? Are there additional fees to shoot there? Some places require photographers to pay a fee or surcharge just to shoot on their land.
2. Is it a legal place to even have a shoot? I've always been conflicted on the whole 'shoot on the train tracks' idea. For one thing it's dangerous - I'm not a fan of putting my clients in danger! Another good reason is that it's illegal to trespass onto railroad property. It also sets a bad example, illustrating that it's OK for people to walk on the train tracks. Finally, the 'tracks' shot has become as cliche as a black and white image with one colour highlighted. Yes, in some cases, it brings out a romantic feel, but what is the story in this type of image?
3. What's your Plan B? Shooting outdoors always depends on the weather (obviously), so if things do take a turn for the worse, it's a good idea to have a back-up location. In these cases, I have a few outdoor spots close to my studio that I recommend. That way, if the weather takes control, we can always shoot in the RyKie Photography studio - warm and dry!
4. What time is it? Time of day is another huge factor. I tend to schedule clients according to when the lighting is the best - and it's not high noon on a super sunny day!
5. Does the background make sense? If you come from a farming or ranching background, having a background on your land or featuring old farm machinery would make sense. If you have a particular hobby, including your gear would also make sense. Sitting in a tractor if you're a city kid might seem kind of odd in comparison!
An image I absolutely love is a mounted canvas in our home from our wedding. It's a shot of my wife and I sharing a kiss in a vast field and amazing Alberta sky. We were living on the ranch at the time, and it brings back a thousand memories just looking at it.
If you're interested in images that you'll want to display in your home and evoke the same feelings, contact us for a free consultation!
That's right, folks! Type in 'Rosemary Alberta Photographer' in your Google search engine and our name will appear! We're proud to be the first photography business in Rosemary to be listed - and officially recognized - by Google.
We've decided to expand ways on how you can find us, making it easier for clients to make a decision on which photographer to hire. It's a daunting task, given all the fine folks out there that provide such services.
As I've stated before, lots of people search based on price, which is probably one of the last factors to consider. How does this artist make you feel? Are they just 'shoot and burn' (shoot images and burn them to a CD), or do they offer products (prints, wall art, etc.)? What's the turn-around time? The list is endless.
Our passion is in creating excellent images, and ensuring that people enjoy the images they have. We also offer retouching and restoration services, so if you have images that you feel could use some help, or even need rescuing - we can help!
If you have questions, feel free to ask or request a free consultation!
Bring old memories back to life!
Some people doodle, twirl their hair, chew their nails. My thing is retouching images. A few months ago, I was inspired to try converting some old black & white images to colour, attempting for a realistic-looking result. The above image is more than 60 years old (the left one, anyhow!).
I've worked on all kinds of images for retouching, some with rips, scratches, even writing on the image.
The most astonishing results are from scanning an old (100 years -plus), dusting off the cobwebs and coming up with an astonishing final image! Image retouching and restoration is a service we offer at RyKie Photography, plus we can provide custom printing solutions to display your heritage image proudly in your home.